Thursday, July 31, 2014

GUITAR GODS: Kelly Richey (the lost interview)

Among our lost interviews is this 2009 interview with the amazing blues guitarist Kelly Richey. The original intro was lost forever, but we found theraw interview, and so present it below un-edited.
===

Kelly started playing in late 70s when she was 15, and soon was practicing a mind boggling 12 hours a day. She joined the band Stealin' Horses in 1986, which afforded her the opportunity to tour a large part of the US. She left in 1990 to start her own band and relocated to Cincinnati, OH. She released her first solo record in 1996 and since then has released 13 albums, including the instrumental album "Speechless" (2006).

In addition to a grueling recording and performance schedule, Kelly maintains a private teaching studio and is also actively involved in community outreach through a variety of projects.

Visit Kelly on-line at http://www.kellyrichey.com/

Here is the original interview.....



=====

1) What are your current projects?

I just completed a new CD titled "Carry The Light". It's an all original release and I'm very excited about it!

2) How does this (do these) differ from your past work?

This new CD is a defining moment for me as an artist. I have a wonderful writing team and an amazing band! The passion that I feel for music and the issues that motivate me to continue to move forward as an artist are expressed in this new piece of work. I feel that music can hep to heal a very divided country and hopefully aide in reminding listeners to tune in to the ever so important issues of our day. We have an opportunity to come together and help create change. It's an exciting time if we heed the call...

3) Do you have one project that you are most proud of as a guitarist?

The new CD is my favorite work thus far with "Speechless" close behind. With that said, I've never released a CD that didn't place strong focus on the guitar.

4) Can you give our readers a run-down of your basic gear (live and/or studio), and do you have a favorite piece of gear?

My old 65' Strat is my favorite piece of "gear" by far!!! Currently I'm using a Fender Delux Reverb amp, Boogie 1 x 12 EVM external speaker cabinet, Sennheiser Wireless Unit, Vox Wah, two Ibanez Tube Screamers (both on at the same time 95% of the time), Ernie Ball volume pedal and a Boss GT3 for delays and harmonizer. I listed the effects in order as they appear in the chain. I use some combination of my live rig at home in my own studio and go to larger studios to bennifit from multiple amps, a larger mic selection, a larger room for mic placement...etc. Note: 75% of "Carry The Light" was recorded in Cincinnati at ATS Studios in Cincinnati, the rest was cut at my home studio...ie...guitar leads, a few rhythm guitar parts and to vocals.

5) Who would you cite as early influences, and who are you favorite new players?

In order they would be, via a timeline: Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Roger Fisher, Roy Buchannan, Freddie King, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Albert King, Lonnie Mack

6) Can you give a few tips to aspiring players?

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, and learn to work well with others!

7) What are your future plans?

We have a great tour schedule this summer and fall and are kicking of a west coast tour next week. We've released the CD to press and radio and have high hopes for the new CD, "Carry The Light". I have already begun writing for the next project....

8) Thanx for talking to us, Kelly!

You are very welcome!!! Thank you for asking!


No comments:

Post a Comment