Saturday, June 30, 2012

''GUITAR GODS: Grant Young''

- David "Skinny Devil" McLean
 Originally published at Tinfoil Music
Date: Friday, September 27 2002 @ 18:19:01 BST


               Grant Young: Singer, songwriter, net-radio entrepreneur, teacher, and guitarist extraordinaire. Grant is also one of the new breed of "Internet Stars", with a hit single MP3.Com and gobs of net-play via web-radio. He also runs several net-based radio stations of his own on both MP3.com and 365Live.Com, plays over 100 shows per year, and still finds time to run a web-site (www.grantyoung.com) that features bios, free guitar lessons, merchandise sales, games, and more.

I had a chance to chat with Grant recently.

   

==========
1) What are your current projects?

Currently I am lining up some solo acoustic shows for the summer to promote my 2 cd's that are available through www.mp3.com/grantyoung. I am also recording a few more songs to add to a 3rd CD that I want to release this year.

2) How does this (do these) differ from your past work?

The newer songs might have more commercial potential. These days artists need some commerciality to make money to keep future projects a reality.

3) Do you have one project that you are most proud of as a guitarist?

It is tough to pick any "one" song because each song feels like a child with it's own unique identity. As a songwriter, I love all of my songs whether they are popular or not. I think that having my solo acoustic guitar piece "CAFE DE MOIRA" hit #1 on the MP3.com charts was a blast though.

4) Can you give our readers a run-down of your basic gear (live and/or studio)?

At the moment, money is really tight so I still use my Kramer Acoustic Ferrington and Kramer Electric with Zoom effects and a Fender Stage 160 watt amp and a Gibson Epiphone Stereo Chorus Acoustic Regent 230 amp. I would like to upgrade my electric to a Ibanez Jem when the cash starts "pouring" in! Ha, Ha, Ha...

5) Who would you cite as early influences, and who are you favorite new players?

Early influences would be the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen. I remember getting a tab book of Zeppelin songs and it was so cool being able to play the exact riffs and solos as Jimmy Page, note for note. There was this adrenaline rush kind of feeling that I got from playing along with these records that was so addictive. I just couldn't stop playing the guitar after that. I don't see too many new players out there to be honest with you that I really go crazy for. After the punk/grunge of the early 90's, people don't seem to care about the "art of guitar playing", as I call it, anymore. The songs with good melodic structures like Van Halen and Led Zeppelin use to write are just not around anymore it seems. It wasn't until this internet revolution came about that I found some good guitar players at places like MP3.com. I actually started some radio stations there to feature some of these guys. Check out http://www.mp3.com/stations/guitarslingers and http://www.mp3.com/stations/stevevaisguitar .

6) Can you give a few tips to aspiring players?

I find that timing is really important in playing. The more that you can play with a drummer, the better. If not, get a cool drum machine with some cool rhythms and play along to develop your timing. If you don't have a drum machine, just play along with the songs on the radio or your CD's.

7) What are your future plans?

The future sees me getting some good players and personalities together for some serious touring across Canada, the USA and Europe.

8) Thanx for talking to us, Grant!

Thanks for finding me and giving guys like me some more exposure, David. Y'know, people use to say punk and disco were dead but they came back into fashion. Maybe guitar rock will come back in fashion soon and rule the airwaves again. Thanks again...

No comments:

Post a Comment